The British Columbia Regiment (DCO) is currently HIRING!
There are some basic criteria that must be met before an applicant is allowed into the Canadian Forces.
- Applicants must be at least 17 years of age and generally not older than 57 years of age.
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens. Applicants must have a minimum Grade 10 education or six credits (from a British Columbia educational institution or equivalent from another province); and
- Applicant must complete the Canadian Forces Assessment Test
- Must pass a physical fitness check
- Must pass a medical screening exam
- The applicant must not have any criminal record they have not been pardoned for. They are also subject to a full background check and credit history check.
To begin the intake process you must bring a complete and correctly filled application, birth certificate or citizenship card, high school and post secondary transcripts, and a statement of understanding completed by the unit recruiter. Application processing will take anywhere from 4 to 6 months. In this time period is when you will complete the specific entry requirements (CFAT, medical, ect…).
The British Columbia Regiment (BCR) is an Armoured Reconnaissance unit in the Army Reserve. Members of the Reserve Force are citizens who are paid to train on a part-time basis to assist the Regular Force in meeting Canada’s military commitments. If their job/schooling permits, members of the Army Reserve can take full-time courses during the summer months, or apply for full-time positions with the Regular Force in taskings or deployments such as United Nations & NATO operations.
After you complete your Basic Military Qualification (BMQ is a common recruit course for all trades in the Canadian Forces), you will then begin training specific to armoured reconnaissance. Initial training in reconnaissance includes tasks such as “on and off road” driving, “black-out” night driving, as well as tactics, weapons and radio skills. Your next courses will then involve leadership training, and command of a reconnaissance vehicle crew. Training is usually conducted one evening per week at the Drill Hall, and one weekend per month in the field. A new recruit can expect about $80 per day from the above training. Personnel may also apply and be paid for additional courses, job postings, and United Nations & NATO tours.
Pay and Promotions
Your pay rate increases with your rank, and time served. Promotions are based on merit, and qualifications through courses successfully completed.
The following benefits are offered to members of The British Columbia Regiment (DCO) in good standing:
Secondary School Credits
- 4 Grade 10, 11 or 12 high school credits for completing Basic Recruiting Training (this will be covered under the applied skills section of your schooling).
- Association Bursary Program
- Available to all members (non-commissioned and officers)
- Diploma, university degree (including advanced degree studies).
- 50% re-imbursement to a lifetime limit of $8,000. Available to full-time or part-time students
- Must attend regularly, 75% (3 out of 4 Thursdays, 3 out of 4 exercises), and have completed their basic military training course
- Requires an interview and program approval from the Brigade Personnel Selection Officer
Reserve Health Benefit Plan (Dental)
- If you are not covered by another plan, you are eligible 3 months after joining the Reserve
- Need to be in good standing with the unit (attending regularly)
- 90% reimbursement for many services
- 50% reimbursement for orthodontics
- For complete details, ask the Orderly Room for the Dental Care Plan pamphlet
- Immediate family is covered under this plan
Compensation to help defray costs for members who must commute more than 16km to the Drill Hall. Ask the Regimental Orderly Room for more details.
Come Visit Us!
For more information about The British Columbia Regiment, or to apply for enrollment, please contact a recruiter. They are available during business hours, Monday to Friday, to answer any questions that you might have.
Call 604-666-4288 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.